Updating old chandeliers

Then I hung the light part in the garage and sprayed it the same way: Those white sleeves were brittle and falling apart so I just kept them on to protect the electrical stuff while I painted.

updating old chandeliers-49

And when you buy the light two years ago, does that even count? It’s amazing what paint will do to help update them!

This new home of ours was completely decked out in oak and brass fixtures when she was newly built. And I wanted it to stick well to my metal and shiny brass.

I found this light fixture at the Habitat Restore almost two years ago, even before I finished up the bookcases in the dining room: It was $20 and I loved the shape so I snagged it up! But the dark color I had was dried as hard as a rock, I couldn’t get any out of the tube. I did consider just leaving it – the brass didn’t horrify me.

I pulled out my rub n buff first, thinking I may be able to get away with no taping off and spray paint.

After waiting 24 hours to let the paint completely harden, I peeled back the tape.

I should have taken a picture of that……it’s the most fun and I kinda forgot. (I found these at Lowe’s.) However, the standard size was too short for my chandelier.

It came apart into two pieces and I cleaned it well: This one helped: Then it was time to tape all that off. I just laid the painter’s tape down over the glass and then used my razor to “cut out” each one: It worked GREAT.

I timed myself and it took one hour and 15 minutes to tape off the whole thing: That’s 64 sections in one hour and fifteen minutes, so not too shabby!

I’m back with a project that I let sit around for nearly two years. I think the main reason I let it sit so long was the work that I knew would go into transforming it. :) But I wanted it to stand out more and I knew a darker color would make that happen.

It’s been moved around the house – the garage for a while, then it’s future home (the dining room/library) for the past year or so. And the brass looked fine in some areas and horrible in others, so it needed to be covered.

But before getting rid of it/them……imagine adding a little paint. There were actually 2 of these little brass beauties in our entry.

Tags: , ,